Saturday, February 20, 2010

DAY SEVEN - Sunday, Feb. 7, 2010: Echoes of church hymns

I started the day with a run around the compound, taking photos of the sunrise. Such mixed emotions. I miss Jon & Audrey, but there is so much work to be done here. I have gratitude that the replacement team is here, and that’s probably what will make it okay in my heart for me to go home.

We made it back to the DR after a brief tour in Haiti of Ti tanyen, where the mass graves are and a flour mill that’s Haiti’s second largest employer. They lost 100 employees the day of the earthquake. We heard whispers of the hymns being sung in church after church we passed.

My favorite moment from that day was hearing echoes from hymns that trickled down from a small shelter on a hill. You couldn't even really see the people worshiping, but you could hear their voices lifted up in praise.

The church fellowship hall back in the DR was extremely hot, so a half-dozen of us slept on the roof. That was probably the best sleep I’d had since leaving home. I sprayed my mat down with bugspray, hoping to ward off the mosquitoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment